Our Parish Commitment to safeguarding
We the people of the Catholic Parish of Forster Tuncurry are committed to fostering communities of safety and care for all people, especially for children and others in the community who are vulnerable.
Our commitment is underscored by our faith in Jesus Christ who teaches the fundamental sanctity of each human person, and by our dedication to sustained education, practice and conversation about our moral, legal and spiritual obligation to safeguard all those within our community.
We stand together as brothers and sisters to be the Body of Christ.
We commit as individual members of our Catholic community to work to be a person who:
- Wants all children to be safe, to grow and to flourish, and have zero tolerance to any attitude and activity that makes a child feel or be less than safe;
- Acts with integrity, humility and sincerity, being truthful and open-hearted, and accountable and transparent, throughout the Parish and in the community to which we live and serve;
- Shows care for the rights of all people who are supported by the Parish systems that are clear, accessible and compliant;
- Leads by a constant commitment to raising awareness, is educated in the broader issues, and continues faith and spiritual development as an active member of the Church in all areas of life;
- Listens respectfully to others with an open heart and mind, and responds so that concerns and risks may be identified early and addressed, hears the voice of the wounded and speaks out in the face of abuse regardless of whether it is known to be verbal, physical or sexual in nature;
- Reaches out with compassion to all who have experienced hurt in our community, restoring relationships and building hope through support and acknowledgement.
- Communicates openly and honestly so that there is a clear articulation and demonstration of expectations, standards, structures and processes for Safeguarding throughout the Parish.
- Engages where possible the knowledge and experience of the wider community so that through conversation and collaboration we can continue to grow in the safety and wellbeing of our communities and the lives of those that are part of our Parish and who access our Parish groups and agencies.